Optus Sport is a streaming video on demand (SVOD) service developed by Optus, one of Australia’s largest telcos.
Optus Sport users can:
• Watch English Premier League soccer and the FA Cup with all matches streamed live and selected matches available on demand
• Watch the 2018 FIFA World Cup with all matches streamed live and available on demand
• Watch other events and leagues for which Optus acquires rights for
The Optus Sport Large Screen TV App Development Project was a key service extension initiative for Optus. The new Large Screen apps were required to be in place for the FIFA World Cup 2018 for which Optus has exclusive rights to stream all 64 games live and on demand. This project was time critical with a project start in February 2018 and fixed delivery deadlines in June 2018 .
The initial devices planned for roll out in time for the World Cup were Xbox One and Fire TV, but Optus wanted a solution that could extend to other TV platforms efficiently.
Diagnal proposed a solution based on our TV application framework and TV app template which would be customised and extended during the project phase by our design and development team for Optus Sport required features.
Diagnal’s TV application framework is based on the BBC TAL framework which gives great cross platform portability both on Web TV and Android TV devices. We also provided an App CMS solution to allow Optus operators to set up new channels and sports events as they come on board. Diagnal also set up remote monitoring and bug tracking tools to allow easy monitoring of end user experiences.
The services provided by Diagnal for the Optus Sport Large Screen TV project include:
• Design and Development of Xbox One and Fire TV apps
• DRM playback and testing
• Manufacturer App certification and App Store submission
• Post launch operational monitoring and support
Diagnal delivered the Large Screen TV apps project successfully and ready for launch one month before the World Cup start. We passed both Microsoft and Amazon App Store certifications on first attempt.